Thursday, July 19, 2007

Valdosta State University

I received word a little after noon today that I have a one-year temporary teaching position at Valdosta State University. Located on I-75 in Valdosta, a city of over 40,000 people, the university serves the southernmost parts of the state of Georgia. The university's profile in the Chronicle of Higher Education highlights its "168 acre campus serving an area stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to the Alabama state line, containing 31% of the land area of the state." Valdosta State is actually outgrowing its urban campus, with an enrollment of 10,888 in the fall of 2006, including 1399 graduate students. This represents a substantial increase from the enrollment of 9,300 reported in the Chronicle profile. Forty-eight states and 50 countries were represented in the student body, and small class sizes are mentioned as a priority.

Although I will be carrying a heavy teaching load at relatively low pay, the department has promised to open a tenure-track position for 2008-2009 and give my application priority as long as I manage to publish and obtain external funding. Those things are indeed happening for me, so look for some of that news here in coming weeks as well. I will have to move down to Valdosta from Athens between now and August 1st.



Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

At 11:26 PM , Blogger george.w said...

WOOT!!! Congratulations! Looks like a beautiful campus. And the size of the community is just right.

I did notice a link on their home page discussing this year's hurricane season. Hmmm...

 
At 7:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS

Well, i just dropped by to let you know of a competition that is running at the africanloft.

www.africanloft.com

Pls, participate.

pammy

 
At 7:40 AM , Blogger Don Thieme said...

decrepitoldfool: I saw that same link. Although it does give one pause when moving, I have also had to deal with a lot of severe weather in both Athens and Atlanta. This also means that severe weather and climate change are important research topics down in that part of the state.

Pamela: I was not sure that I could submit an essay if I am going to be a judge. I just finished "Purple Hibiscus" yesterday, by the way. It took me until about 3 AM this morning to realize that the title of the book and the end of the book are really connected. This is a masterpiece of world literature, although I am not certain that my mother could handle the graphic family violence.

 
At 8:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Don;
CONGRATULATIONS on the new teaching assignment ;)

Anna

 
At 7:41 AM , Blogger Don Thieme said...

Anna: You are welcome. It comes after much frustration and arm-twisting. I actually did all the hard work for this years ago.

 
At 7:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, although Valdosta doesn't seem as interesting as Athens (not to me anyway).

Heavy load, low pay - the familiar story. It's a hard time for higher education. Have you figured out how to get teaching, service and research all balanced? They'll drain you dry on campus, but you've got to publish..

It's a real accomplishment to have landed the job. Hope it turns into something beyond the one year.

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger Don Thieme said...

virushead: You raise issues that are all major concerns with this job and move. Still, it is the best opportunity I have found at the end of a very long search.

Check back with me in six months or so about the balance. You left off personal life there.

 
At 9:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Don!

CKR

 
At 6:45 AM , Blogger Jackie said...

Wonderful news....simply fantastic!! you may get to meet my daughter sometime. She has family still residing in Valdosta...in-laws. Oh it is a lovely University...I have been there many times....I am so pleased and congrats on the offer of tenure:)~oh and I most definitely know you are a true southerner....when you mentioned fried bologna...I must admit I still do from time to time indilge in a fried bologna sandwich...WTG...congrats again!!~Jackie

 
At 10:35 PM , Blogger Blur Ting said...

Sounds like great news that good things are happening!

 
At 2:36 PM , Blogger Button Gwinnett said...

Congrats! As a native southwest Georgian, I know many people who have gone to VSU. They all loved it. And I enjoyed visiting there.

Valdosta itself is okay. You're close enough for Saturday afternoon drives over to Thomasville or the Okafenokee. It's not that far from Jacksonville or the coast. And Tallahassee isn't far either.

So if you go, enjoy!

 
At 10:49 AM , Blogger on-the-rocks said...

Don;

Good luck with your teaching endeavors in Valdosta and where ever else you journey.

There seem to be several students from the Duluth area that attend Valdosta State as did some of my friends from "our generation". I opted for Georgia Southern.

If you visit my blog, I hope that any disagreements will remain cordial. Though I blog under an alias, you can probably figure out my identity.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home