Thursday, August 16, 2007

8 Random Facts About Me...

Ishtar tagged me for this back on July 28. I made my list of facts right away, but got sidetracked in the posting by my recent move down here to Valdosta from Athens, Georgia. In any case, here are -

THE RULES:

  1. Post these rules before you give you the facts
  2. List eight (8) random facts about yourself.
  3. At the end of your post, choose (tag) eight people and list their names (linking to them).
  4. Leave them a comment on their blog letting them know they've been tagged!

Now for my eight random facts, about which I will be adding more information and links in coming days.

  1. I am an Eagle Scout and member of the Order of the Arrow. As far as the Eagle rank goes, I just stuck around long enough. I loved camping and getting all the merit badges for outdoor stuff. I recall being a bit embarassed about scouting in front of my longhair school friends, but my dad was the scoutmaster and I really could not get out. The Order of the Arrow was a bunch of hooey from what I recall, although we were sworn to secrecy about all of it.
  2. At the end of my family's stay in Nigeria, I contracted the tropical parasite schistosomiasis. I was cured by a series of treatments with antimony at Walter Reed hospital. There had been relatively few children treated prior to that, and I was very fortunate to be living in Washington, D.C. where the Walter Reed staff was actively researching the parasite because it was endemic in South Vietnam. There are less debilitating treatments available now. One of the leading researchers on schistosomiasis, Dan Colley, now teaches at the University of Georgia.
  3. I was an art major for my first two years at New College in Sarasota, Florida. My paternal grandmother and aunt, Tabea and Melita Hofmann, were both published illustrators. The John Kieran and Ethel Hinckley Hausman books on wildflowers illustrated by grandmother frequently show up on internet bookstore sites as also does my aunt's book, A Trip to the Pond.
  4. In 1982, I worked in the last year of a long-term archaeological research project on Black Mesa in northeastern Arizona. If you have seen the Chevy Chase movie "Vacation," then you may recall Black Mesa as the black cliff in the background when his station wagon breaks down in the middle of a hot, dry wasteland. The money for the archaeology on Black Mesa came from the Peabody Coal Company, and at the time Peabody seemed to be trying to do the right thing in terms of both environmental protection and negotiating with the local Dine (Navajo) and Hopi owners of the land that contained the coal they have been mining. Curently, there are bad feelings between the Dine and Hopi, and between both tribes and Peabody Coal.
  5. I have always secretly liked Elvis Presley records, particularly "I Can't Help Falling in Love" and "Hunka Hunka Burning Love" when my testosterone kicks in.
  6. I lived in Nashville as a teenager during the same time frame that Robert Altman was filming his movie there. Although I hated the movie at the time, I have to admit that it captures much of the variety of the Nashville scene at the time.
  7. My last name is very common in Saxony, the southern part of east Germany. My father and I traveled there together several years ago but were not able to find any direct relatives. We did visit the Volkerschlachtdenkmal, however, designed by the architect Clemens Thieme and found a charming bookstore in Leipzig, Antiquariat Thieme
  8. I have been singing in amateur choral groups since I moved to Athens in 1994. I am looking forward to a church choir rehearsal tonight here in Valdosta, as a matter of fact.

I now tag the following eight bloggers with this same meme:

  1. Imnakoya
  2. Akin
  3. Pamelastitch
  4. Shinade
  5. Sabine
  6. Carol
  7. Heidi
  8. Decrepit Old Fool

I will be emailing all of you and adding links. This is a very busy time for me.

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

At 8:22 AM , Blogger Esther Garvi said...

Interesting information! Just wondering, what is the Order of the Arrow?

 
At 8:35 AM , Blogger Don Thieme said...

ishtarThe Order of the Arrow is a "secret society" supposedly transmitting American Indian lore and traditions to American boys. From what I recall, it was a bunch of hooey.

 
At 7:04 PM , Blogger DubLiMan said...

I found your site through a shared link that I have with “The Painted Veil” Would you be interested in a link swap? Please visit my site at: http://mondaymorningpower.blogspot.com. My site is “Dedicated to the Pursuit, Capture, Care & Feeding of a Positive Mental Attitude.” I have zero adds on my site. I feel that what I have to say has universal significance. If you like what you see and agree, then link my site to yours, leave me a comment on my blog that you have done so and I will immediately do the same. I only make this offer to sites that I know my readers would benefit from.

 
At 12:44 PM , Blogger george.w said...

Wow, yours was way more interesting than mine.

Since I've been tagged again, here's one more random fact: as a teen i was a geology buff and (living in Washington state) kept an Estwing rock hammer and some rope in my car. Alas, not as much to see where I live now in Illinois.

I still have the hammer. It is similar to the one on your sidebar, though it has a point rather than a wedge.

 
At 8:29 AM , Blogger Don Thieme said...

Decrepit Old Fool: Estwing actually calls those picks, I think, both the pointed and wedge-shaped type. The "hammers" are dull on the end, which is probably what I should be using given how accident-prone I am. Those can do serious damage if you happen to get your finger in the way of the rock:

http://www.gpc.edu/~dthieme/Blog/Finger1.jpg

 
At 4:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Don,

In fact, I had already been tagged on this matter over a month ago - if I do this, it would become 15 things you do not know about me - Makes me wonder how much of a private person I am with the first 7.

 
At 2:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Elvis Presley, huh! That's a cool insight into the Robert Altman movie, as well.

Interesting bunch of facts, Don!

 
At 6:20 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

oh my gosh!! LOL!! Elvis Presly hmmm don....

I have been avoiding this tag thing for awhile. It uses so much brain energy and i can't really think up 8 things about myself....

:-(
sucks...
Pammy

 
At 9:31 PM , Blogger Don Thieme said...

Pamela: I think that this was about played out by the time that it got to me. Still, this was a list of bloggers about which I do hope to learn a great deal more.

I actually just remembered that my infatuation with the King of Rock 'n Roll was actually preceded by one with the King of Soul!

 
At 6:28 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

LOL!!!

I feel good talalalalalalala
the way that i should.....

:D

 
At 6:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tag! I did this one back in June. Here's the post. I love Black Rock Mesa and would love to hear more about that project. We also share a common love for singing...

 
At 6:50 PM , Blogger Don Thieme said...

Heidi: Yours is a fabulous list. As I remarked in a comment on your page, however, I have no idea what you mean in referring to that "sort of New England roll-up and put in your pocket flowerpot hat that you really can’t wear in Georgia." From what I can gather of your personality from your blog, however, I am sure that you do indeed where it here in Georgia quite a lot.

I will have to write a more lengthy post all about Black Mesa at some point in here. It actually just dawned on me as well that I might be able to snip out some of the footage from "Vacation" to use in my course here when I get to desert landforms.

 
At 8:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

pls, Don, Update!!! :D

 
At 10:07 AM , Blogger Don Thieme said...

Pamela: I am too busy to think right now. I did just post a video, though. I watched it last night, and your message of this morning prompted the post.

 
At 4:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Don, it's been a while. Too long, in fact. Haven't seen you since Augusta, August 25, 2001. Racking your brain trying to figure out who this is? If so, try Tanglewood, 1975, America and Jackson Browne. Just wanted to say "hi" and find out how you're doing. I see that you have once again moved and are now teaching at Valdosta. Cool. Googled you and, WOW, you're all over the place!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home